Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All Content
  • The service for Faculty and Staff is called Bobcat Balance and it is available to both faculty and staff members and their family. Click here to go to the Bobcat Balance website.

  • Individual, group, and couple’s counseling services at provided free of charge to current enrolled Texas State students. While all enrolled students are eligible to receive counseling services, in times of heavy demand priority is given to students enrolled at least half-time or more.

  • Counseling Center staff members are occasionally asked to meet with a student to determine if the student is suitable to student teach, live in a residence hall, or participate in some other type of program. In most cases we are not able to make such a determination unless the student has been a client in the Counseling Center long enough to get an accurate assessment of his or her behavior patterns. When a student is referred for a one-time assessment, we are not generally able to get enough consistent information upon which to base a professional judgment. In situations where there are obvious and overt student behavioral problems, we can consult with faculty or staff about how they can communicate with students and help them plan an appropriate course of remediation.

    In some cases, we are asked to evaluate a recommendation made by an outside practitioner, regarding a student’s suitability. When there are questions about the recommendation, we can talk with the practitioner to learn about his or her basis for the recommendation. Counseling Center staff members are also available to consult with Texas State faculty and staff about problems, issues, or questions that may have emerged regarding a student’s suitability, about the behavior patterns that have been observed, and about how faculty and staff members may communicate their concerns to students about their concerns.

  • The Counseling Center does not accept referrals for counseling that are mandated by faculty or staff as a requirement or condition (e.g. for academic progress or performance, internship or field experience placement, continued enrollment or employment, etc.).  Personal counseling in which the student is coerced to participate is rarely productive or beneficial.  Students who exhibit behavioral problems in the classroom, or other academic or university related situations, should be encouraged by faculty and staff to voluntarily seek counseling at the Counseling Center.

  • If you are under 18 years of age and meet one of the criteria below, then you have the legal power to consent to counseling on behalf of yourself in accordance with Texas law, specifically Texas Family Code Section 32.003:


    1. You are currently or have been previously married.
    2. A court order has been entered legally removing the disabilities of your minority.
    3. You are on active duty with the armed services of the United States of America.
    4. You are 16 years of age or older and you reside separate and apart from your parents/managing conservator/guardian and manage your own financial affairs.
    5. You are consenting to counseling for suicide prevention, chemical addiction or dependency or sexual, physical or emotional abuse.


    If you are under 18 years of age and do not meet an above criteria, a signed authorization granting permission for you to receive services must be provided by your parents or guardians prior to receiving services at the CC, and your parents or guardians have rights to see your record. However, we can discuss with you what we will share with them and what we will keep private.